Table of Contents
- Click on a FAQ Question Below 1. What is the CANFIT scholarship program? 2. Why does CANFIT support students from low income communities and communities of color? 3. What forms are needed to apply for the CANFIT scholarships? 4. When is the CANFIT scholarship due date? 5. Can I send my transcripts or recommendations separate from my scholarship forms? 6. Who should I consider to fill out my recommendation forms? 7. Where do I send my completed scholarship application? 8. Where does CANFIT send my scholarship check? 9. When will the scholarship winners be announced? 10. How do I contact CANFIT if I have a question about the scholarship process? 11. How can I support the CANFIT scholarship program?
1. What is the CANFIT scholarship program?
- The CANFIT Scholarship program provides funds to students of African-American, American Indian, Alaska Native, Asian-American, Pacific Islander, or Latino/Hispanic descent to help achieve their college education undergraduate or graduate degrees in nutrition, physical activity, or culinary arts. Since 1994, CANFIT funds 2-5 scholarships each year. For eligibility criteria, click here.
2. Why does CANFIT support students from low income communities and communities of color?
- Traditionally, communities of color are underrepresented in the nutrition and physical education field. By providing scholarships for communities of color, CANFIT hopes to encourage more students to pursue careers representing nutrition and fitness.
3. What forms are needed to apply for the CANFIT scholarship?
The most recent forms will be found on the Scholarship Page for the corresponding year. Here’s a sample of the forms you will need to fill out along with a scholarship checklist: Forms Form 1: Application Instructions Form 2: Application Form Form 3: Financial Statement Form 4: Recommendation Form
Scholarship Checklist (*Send original + 3 copies)
-Application Cover Sheet* -Personal Letter* -Community Change Essay (500-1000 words)* -Financial Status Form * -TWO recommendation forms* -A picture (for the website) -Official School Transcript (only one copy)
4. When is the CANFIT scholarship due date?
- Unless noted otherwise, all applications are due and must be postmarked by March 31st. Recipients will be notified in June when the next round of scholarships are available.
5. Can I send my transcripts or recommendations separate from my scholarship forms?
6. Who should I consider to fill out my recommendation forms?
- CANFIT recommends that you choose the leaders and mentors in your life that understand your involvement in community, nutrition, physical activity, or academic work. This may include, but not limited to, an influential professor, academic advisor, counselor, coach, boss, supervisor, director, community organizer, or community leader.
7. Where do I send my completed scholarship application?
After completing the forms, mail the application to the following address:
CANFIT Attn: Scholarship Application PO Box 3989 Berkeley, CA 94703
8. Where does CANFIT send my scholarship check?
- CANFIT requests the address of your school’s financial aid office in your application. All scholarship checks are mailed directly to the school listed in your documents to be used for tuition and college fees.
9. When will the scholarship winners be announced?
- Scholarship winners will be announced in June and the award will be delivered to the recipient’s university in the fall. Scholarship winners will also be announced on the CANFIT website and online newsletter. View our Past Scholarship recipients!
10. How do I contact CANFIT if I have a question about the scholarship process?
CANFIT values its relationship with scholarship applicants and invites you to contact us directly with any questions.
11. How can I support the CANFIT scholarship program?
You can DONATE to CANFIT on our website or by mail to support the scholarship program that grants awards to students from low income communities and communities of color. CANFIT scholarships are made possible by our generous funders. Become a CANFIT compadre/comadre with a $20.00 or more donation to our Scholarship Fund.