We advocate for policies that improve healthy eating and physical activity environments at the local, state and national levels.
- CANFIT focuses its policy and advocacy efforts in after school and community settings.
- We were instrumental in developing snack and physical activity implementation guidelines used in state-funded after school programs in California, and increasing the visibility of the after school sector in community obesity prevention initiatives in California.
- We identify and advocate for community-based solutions to ensure that policies reflect local priorities and expertise.
- We act as a liaison between community members and policymakers to ensure successful implementation of healthy eating and physical activity policies and programs.
- We are equally comfortable advocating for new and improved policies as we are working on the ground, directly with communities.
We provide professional development opportunities to support the advancement of culturally competent food and physical activity policies and practices.
- Our trainings and workshops focus on advancing culturally competent policies, practices and programs for adolescents in low income communities and communities of color.
- For the past 23 years we have provided professional development opportunities to policymakers, government agencies, school, after school and health professionals, and youth-serving and community-based organizations.
- We work with policymakers around the intended and unintended impact of current and potential food and built environment policies on the communities they serve.
CANFIT meets people where they are.
- We offer hands-on, culturally resonant technical assistance tailored to meet community needs.
- CANFIT understands urban youth cultures and knows how to bring healthy eating and physical activity into the lives of adolescents in low income communities and communities of color.