May 29, 2014
A month in the life of CANFIT...
By Arnell Hinkle
I was recently asked to describe a typical month in the life of CANFIT. It is a useful way to explain our work, but a daunting task because so much happens. Here’s a taste of CANFIT activities from April -May…We
- released a policy brief on Farm to School Activities in Out-of-School Time;
- hosted a webinar for 45 after school providers in California who have been participating in our Project for Healthier After School Environments (PHASE);
- consulted with a New York community center on strategies to improve their obesity treatment program;
- co-wrote and and submitted for publication an article on a 5-year community based after school healthy eating/physical activity intervention;
- presented at the California Department of Education Regional Lead meeting about PHASE; co-created and facilitated a workshop on “Developing a Career Pipeline for youth involved in food and fitness work” at the WK Kellogg Food and Community Gathering;
- drafted a moderator’s guide for a series of focus groups on attitudes about taxation and other strategies to decrease sugar sweetened beverage consumption;
- participated in a workshop on policy options for increasing funding for food systems work through the Affordable Care Act;
- reviewed 15 CANFIT Scholarship applications;
- co-chaired and presented a session on Youth Engagement Strategies for the Nutrition/Physical Activity Committeemeeting of the California Afterschool Network;
- produced a new marketing video for our 20th Anniversary;
- was guest of honor at two fund-raising house parties (New York City and Washington, DC);
- and met with a regional Chamber of Commerce group to discuss the potential role of the business sector in positively impacting childhood health.
Until one looks back it is hard to appreciate how much we do, and how varied and interesting our work is, but all-in-all, it was a typical month.
#CANFIT20 celebrates CANFIT’s 20-year anniversary with a monthly blog on the 20th day of each month beginning in August 2013 and other blogs, tweets, and social media posts on history tid-bits on CANFIT’s journey to helping low-income communities strive for healthy eating and physical activity environments. Worked with CANFIT before? Share your stories and thoughts in our 20th Anniversary Assessment today and have your chance at a monthly drawing for a CANFIT gift box valued at $200!
No comments yet on #CANFIT20: A “typical” month?. Be the first to comment.