November 25, 2015
During this time of thanksgiving, as we reflect back on our work, we would like thank all of our partners, donors, and colleagues that worked with us this year, and share with you some of our successes for 2015.
Child and Adult Care Food Program – provided comments on regulations proposed for CACFP.
Farm to Afterschool – CANFIT’s Farm to Out of School Time brief was adopted as a “best practice” in the policy guidance document issued by the California Nutrition Education-Obesity Prevention (NE-OP) Program.
Youth Career Pipeline – wrote a concept paper that outlines a planning process to increase post-high school leadership opportunities for low- income youth in food and built environment jobs and careers.
Racial Equity – completed a research project and report that examined and documented policy levers and strategies that may improve equity for food systems workers.
[Commissioned by the national Convergence Partnership - a collaborative of foundation and health care institutions working to foster healthier and more equitable environments for all children and families]
Training and Technical Assistance
Training – developed and presented workshops on:
- “Authentic Youth Engagement” (HEAL Collaborative, Sacramento)
- “CANFIT Fundamentals” (Sacramento START)
- “Farm to Out of School: Creating Pilot Programs” (Building Opportunities for Out of School Time (BOOST) conference)
- “Healthy Eating and Fitness for Busy Professional” (Black Administrators Network, Berkeley)
- “Policy, Systems, and Environmental Change” (Placer County HEAL Coalition);
- “Policy Strategies for Limiting Sugar Sweetened Beverage Consumption” (Delta and Gold Country Promising Practices Exchange, Sacramento)
WK Kellogg Food and Community Initiative – participated in semi-monthly technical assistance provider team meetings; provided youth engagement TA to NE Iowa, Holyoke, and Oakland; and facilitated workshops on youth and community engagement, built environments and physical activity, and sustainability at the annual Food and Fitness Gathering in Louisville, Kentucky (April 2015).
Participated on state and national advisory groups, including:
- California Afterschool Network – Nutrition and Physical Activity Committee (co-chair)
- Community Health Leaders Inaugural Conference – Planning Committee
- Farm to Cafeteria 2016 National Conference – Program Planning Committee
- Food Marketing Work Group - Target Marketing to Communities of Color Committee
- National Physical Activity Plan Congress – Washington, DC
- NIOST - Healthy Out-of-School Time (HOST) Coalition (Advocacy/Policy and Implementation work groups)
- Partnership for Healthier America (Washington, DC)
Bi-weekly consultations on organizational enhancement and executive coaching
Awarded two CANFIT Academic Scholarships ($1500)
No comments yet on 2015 CANFIT Accomplishments. Be the first to comment.