CANFIT was born out of necessity.
- CANFIT was founded in 1993.
- It was founded as the result of a class action suit involving a food company that was charged with fradulent, misleading and deceptive advertising in marketing sugary cereals to children.
- The California Supreme Court ruled that the case had just cause for action.
- The case was settled out of court with the condition that an organization be established to look at the nutritional needs of low income, minority adolescents in California.
- This was the catalyst that led to the creation of CANFIT.
- Today, CANFIT is composed of ethnically diverse professionals with expertise in food systems, nutrition, physical activity, and community and youth engagement.
- CANFIT is a national nonprofit serving diverse communities across the country.
CANFIT has proven itself to be a leader.
- Since its founding, CANFIT has worked with many of the most reputable health and philanthropic organizations and foundations in the country including The California Endowment, The California Wellness Foundation, Kaiser Permanente and the W.K. Kellogg Foundation.
- Founding executive director Arnell Hinkle is a recognized leader in the public health community and is currently a Food and Society Policy Fellow with the W.K. Kellogg Foundation.
“CANFIT gets the real-life issues in diverse communities and works in tandem with them to create solutions for improving the health of today’s youth.” -After School Director